Wednesday 19 October 2011

Horrendous run

I would love to be able to tell you all that I'm now back on a fantastic winning streak, but i would be an enormous liar!!   The last 3 weeks have been the worst of my short, but generally impressive, poker career.   And its not even down to me playing badly, in a way it would be brilliant if it was because of my bad play because then I would have something to work on & improve!  But it has literally been a combination of coolers, horrendous luck & a significant amount of horrific card-dead brutality !!  I will give you a quick rundown of some of the hands:-

* There is a raise to £8 and 3 calls in front of me, i look down at pocket Jacks, so i 3bet to £40.  This is a pretty substantial raise & I expect to take down the pot there & then OR be 4bet back in which case i might pass my hand if it is from the original raiser, but i will just get my money in against the 3 "callers" as the best i believe any of them can have is AK here as they haven't 3bet themselves (which they would with QQ, KK or AA).   Anyway the flop comes 842 (2 diamonds).  I get the rest of my money in & a guy calls me with J9 of diamonds and obviously another diamond comes for him & i lose

* Guy raises to £8 and I 3bet with pocket 10's to £23, he flat calls.  Flop comes JJ3, pretty good flop for me. I fire a C-bet, he goes all-in for about double my C-bet & i call.  He just FINDS the AJ  and hits quads on the river for good measure!!!

* I call a raise with 55 in a 4way pot and see a flop of K95, nice. Except another guy had flopped a set of 9's!!  Flopped set-over-set is a surefire way to lose money!!!

* I have AQ and raise to £7, flop comes AA7 in a 3way pot.  There is a bet and a call, i raise and get put all-in, I call and he has pocket 7's.  Soooo sick!

* I raise with AJ, one caller.... Flop comes Jack high, I C-bet, he raises all-in & i have to call for the extra.... he has KK.

* I raise with AK to £8, get one caller.  Flop comes K26. Money goes in, he has AA.  ffsssss!


On top of all the above, when i have picked good spots to bluff & make moves I have been getting called reallllllly light.  Basically anything that could go wrong HAS gone wrong & it has been a truly painful few weeks

The 2 hands below pretty much sum up this run!!!!!

* I'm in the BigBlind with 3,5 and the pot is unraised, so i obviously check and see an A24 flop, i have the nuts (but there are 2 spades there too).  Somehow there is a bet & raise in front of me, i reraise & it ends up in a 4way all-in!!  A flush comes on the turn & i somehow manage to lose money after flopping the nuts. I actually won some money on a side pot so it wasn't as bad as it could have been but still, flopping the nuts you would expect to MAKE money on the hand!!!

* I have pocket Aces and after 3 limpers, i raise to £8..... one caller.  I have a little look to see how much more money he has, and i find out its £7 (thats SEVEN friggin pounds!!!).  I flop a set so i check & he checks, i turn QUADS, i check & he checks.  I bet the river & he folds!!!  ohhhhh for the love of god!!!    I make £8 with quad aces!


I wrote all the above on Monday but didn't post it, since then I have had 2 half decent winning nights so i am hoping i have come to the end of this horrific period & can start enjoying my poker & winning some money again!

** Unanswerable questions, 2) Why can't they make the whole plane out of the same substance that little indestructible black box is made from? **

1 comment:

  1. i think raising from £8 to £40 is too much with JJ. you're not getting a call out of any worse hands (which you DO want!), and you're giving £40 away if they have an overpair and jam. even with a raiser and 2 other callers, i'd re-pop it to £30. should still chase one or 2 off... lets you find out where you are, and gets more money in the pot from people with worse hands. hardly a vast difference but it might save you £10 here and there.... all adds up

    ReplyDelete