Wednesday 21 December 2011

Things get put into perspective

Ok, change of tone for this blog..... Its all about positivity for me from here.  Running bad is merely a challenge that i WILL overcome, badbeats are a good thing as it means my opponents are poorer at poker than me!! Etc etc, you get the idea!

And the reason for this, wellllll life is just too short to spend worrying & moaning. One of my mum & dad’s best friends was diagnosed with cancer approximately a month ago, and it has already left her deaf & blind and in a lot of pain. Yesterday, her & her husband decided that she should stop the treatment she was receiving and now basically it is a matter of time before she passes away.  She is one of the nicest people I have met & I can’t begin to imagine how scared she must be at the moment.  Its just horrendous, and i absolutely HATE seeing my mum & dad upset..... it doesn’t happen very often but that helpless feeling is one of the worst feelings in the world.   I don’t want my entire blog to be depressing so i’m going to move on to the positivity side of it again......

All this has made me set myself some goals & decide what i want to do. Some of the things i have wanted to do for a few years, few months or few weeks need to have some wheels put in motion on them

1)      I want to visit Las Vegas to destroy the low stakes poker tables. Originally i said i wanted to do 90 days out there (longest tourist visa you can get) but I would be happy to do 2-3 weeks, preferably before Feb-March next year.

2)      I REALLY want to visit Australia, for about a month.... I would really like this to be whilst also playing poker there to cover the costs of the trip

3)      I want to start dabbling in the stock market, I have been plotting 2 particular companies share prices approx 3-6 times per day, and the threshold of one company is floating between 9.5p and 11p within a couple of days of each other.  If i were to invest 2-3k at the bottom of this threshold, sell at the top, then buy again when they drop down etc etc then i reckon I could make approx £1-2k per month to start with

There is, ofc, a slight problem with these plans.... I need money to do them all.  So if anyone knows anyone with some spare cash that would want to invest then let me know.  Anyone who invests will be entitled to a % of the profits from poker/shares & we can discuss this side of it.

I may not need any investment, I am due to go on a heater of IMMENSE proportions at any time now, I have 2-3 months of chronic runbad that needs evening out. It must be due from today I expect, I cannot imagine me losing a single hand of poker for approximately the next 3 weeks.     Regardless of me having my own money or not, investment in the above ideas would still be welcomed, if anyone is interested.  It just alleviates the pressure on my own scarce (but soon to be bulging again) bankroll.

I have been reading 2 other poker/life blogs recently, both of which are good but in highly different ways, first is Dave Nicholson’s (@lildavefish on Twitter) http://lildaveslife.blogspot.com/ is his blog link..... Good poker read & he sounds a bit of a balla!!  One thing he does say is that to play poker for a living that you have to absolutely love poker, through the good times & the horrific times. This is soooooo true its ridiculous.  I know i have family & friends who either don’t like what i do or don’t think i can do it for a long time/forever, but i have never been more determined in my whole life, i love this “job” and i’m not going to let it just disappear in front of my eyes

The second blog is of Maylis Boardman (@MaylisBoardman on Twitter), http://maylisboardman.wordpress.com/ is her blog link.   Both of them have inspired me in the last few days.  I hope they don’t mind me naming them, I have never met either of them, and i suppose any publicity is good publicity!

One of the things that has come from my “running bad” challenge has been my absolute overwhelming desire to improve my game to restrict my losses as much as possible.  I have mentioned to a few people that I am looking for criticism (in a constructive way preferably) of my poker game from them.  My contact details are, 1) Telephone number 07794 223423 to text me or call me, 2) BBM is 231EA3B3, 3) Email address is andyfield_07@hotmail.co.uk  If there is anything you can tell me about how you think i can improve my game then let me know.   Ed has criticised the way i played one hand in particular, and i would like similar feedback.

I’m also going to try to instigate BRS to take me on as an online staked player,  they agreed to do it in principle a year or so ago before loads of stuff came up & I had to back out.

 I think that pretty much covers most of what i wanted to say, and if not then it can wait!!  I have been awake for 24 hours now & am starting to fall asleep typing so bye for now & GG


Andy

3 comments:

  1. some very good points. the part about having to love poker is so true... in the 5 years i have played for, i've seen so many people start/stop/start/stop again coz they like it but dont love it. the people that play through thick and thin (of which we oth know several) are the ones who LOVE it. even when i've moaned about hating it, i know that i dont really, hence why i'm always back and loving it again a few days later.

    also true about life being too short, you've gotta enjoy doing what you're doing otherwise you're just wasting vital years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just focus on trying to always make the right decision. That is the perfect mindset to be in, you should be happy to get those spots and evaluate every decision. If you made the right move, win or lose, then you should be satisfied. In the same way, sucking someone out or otherwise playing badly should annoy you because you made the wrong decision at the time. This is the most profitable poker playing ethos, I think it helps the game of anyone who tries to think this way.
    Online it is hard for me to run bad for more than a couple of days because of the volume of hands I'm playing but live you play so many fewer hands it is possible to run like shit for so much longer. Maybe it is time for a break from playing live and an online refocus on the game where you get several thousand hands in per day until you feel you have played through your downswing and are ready to come out the other side. Good luck man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with the stuff about making correct decisions! i'm contemplating mixing up live & online a bit more again, but will see how the next week or so works out for me first.

    PS, dont mean to be rude but who are you M.Shalamov?!

    ReplyDelete